Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Capote

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Capote is my favourite movie of 2005. I know I’ve seen a good movie when my jaw is on the floor and I’m in complete awe of what I just saw. Capote was no exception to this rule. I had heard amazing things about this movie prior to seeing it, but without any knowledge of who Truman Capote actually was and my usual disdain for any movie anyone recommends to me, I was a bit hesitant. The deciding factor was definitely Philip Seymour Hoffman. Don’t get confused now, that’s not the same person as Steven Anthony Lawrence. You have seen Philip Seymour Hoffman in such masterpieces as: Boogie Nights (Thanks, J), Happiness, 25th Hour, The Big Lebowski and Punch-Drunk Love. You have seen him in such pieces of shit as: Along Came Polly, Twister and Red Dragon. The guy is fucking incredible.

Being such a big fan of Philip Seymour Hoffman, I was worried that I wouldn’t be able to get that character he always plays out of my head. That chubby, awkward loser who stumbles over his words. By the end of the movie, I couldn’t even REMEMBER that chubby awkward loser. Hoffman as Capote blew my socks off. He was so slick and so suave, so adorable and so bloody annoying. He played Truman Capote brilliantly.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Phillip’s incredible acting aside, the movie definitely held its own. The other talents in this movie, specifically Catherine Keener and Chris Cooper, were brilliant. Catherine Keener played the not-yet-discovered writer of To Kill a Mockingbird and best friend of Capote, Harper Lee. It’s been hinted that Capote actually helped write a lot of Mockingbird but those are, naturally, just speculations. The story itself is a very unique look into a murder case. Rather than focusing on the victim’s lives and families, Capote (both the movie and the man) focused on the lives of the two killers. I think it did a great job of humanizing, rather than demonizing, the killer that Capote became close with, Perry Smith. The one thing that specifically stood out for me, was the fact that, unlike films like Monster, Capote managed to avoid becoming a preachy movie. Although there is definitely sympathy for the murderers, Capote doesn’t try to take all of the blame off of them for their crimes.

I was pretty fucking excited to hear that my man Hoffman was up for best actor (not excited enough to actually WATCH the Golden Globes though) and I almost peed my pants when I found out he WON!!! Hoffman Vs. Heath, Gay Writer Vs. Gay Cowboy and my man prevailed. Not only that, but he looked damn good with his rough and tumble approach to the awards. Too bad he is standing next to a horse.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Oh, and I actually saw King Kong on Sunday night. Terrible acting! So over the top. There is already a giant ape, do you really need dinosaurs, giant spiders, giant swamp worms and bats? Come on.

Ps. Movies I saw since the last post: Syriana (bad flick), Jarhead (again), The Ringer, and King Kong.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really liked him in Rainman with Tom Cruise, I thought he was really retarded.

Anonymous said...

Those things are worse than those of a horse. She puts Mr. Ed to shame. I really creeps me out... I mean, in Million Dollar Baby, I could barely tell when she had the mouthguard in or out.

...

Now that I think of it, did she even have a mouthguard?

aShelteredTown said...

She didn't need one. Couldn't hurt to get a few of those teeth knocked out.

Dickolas Wang said...

Philip Seymour Hoffman will always be Brant in my mind.

"That had not occurred to us, Dude."

yournamehere said...

Philip Seymour Hoffman is great in everything. I didn't like Along Came Polly, but he was even funny in that. "Raindance!"

Craig Schwarze said...

Well, was a bit bummed out that he knocked our Heath off at the Golden Globes. Heath was a bit upset too by all accounts. The HFPA only has 89 members anyway, so I'm not sure why we make such a big fuss over the Golden Globes.

Was totally unaware of the "ghosting" rumour. To Kill a Mockingbird was a fantastic book. I could never understand why Harper Lee didn't write anything else. That would explain it...

Adam said...

After seeing Philip Seymore Hoffman as Capote I thought for certain he'd sweep the best actor category in all the awards ceremonies. After seeing Ledger's performance in Brokeback I'm no longer as confident he'll walk away with the Academy Award, though. These are two truly stellar and complicated performances, but I'm more attached to my man Seymore. He's paid his dues as a remarkable character actor (and I thought pulled off a highly underrated lead performance in Owning Mahowny), and it's time he took Oscar to bed with him.

Craig Schwarze said...

The Academy generally doesn't like pretty boys for best actor. Heath may have to wait 30 years.

There is also some patriotic bias on occasion. I mean, will anyone seriously argue that Gwyneth Paltrow was better Cate Blanchett in '98???

Anonymous said...

Good to see that you're still alive Shelb. I recently saw its all gone Pete Tong and loved it. Check it if you want a good laugh.
Sorry no account, but thats me.
Hopefully all is well and I miss your snarky attitude.

http://spaces.msn.com/couttsgallery

PS I still have your link up, ha.

Mike said...

suck up. Oh, and in case you were considering commenting on my site. Don’t, my wit and debate skills will crush you into oblivion.
God 1
sinners 0
TCOJCOEMLDS

Anonymous said...

I get it... delayed gratification. The more we wait, the better the next post will be.

Craig Schwarze said...

A very short-lived return...

Unknown said...

when i am depressed i eat onions.

Anonymous said...

Hooty hoo...

--VG