Monday, July 04, 2005

Garden State

Zach Braff. What a fabulous Jew.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

To start off, I like this movie. I can’t stand Natalie Portman’s “I’m so naïve, stupid, quirky and cute” attitude but I managed to get past it and actually enjoy this one.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Zach Braff made this movie what it is. Figuratively and literally. If I believed in spirits and souls, I would say he put it all into this gem. Like Johnny Depp has been praised for his on screen presence, his ability to act without saying a word, I think the same can be said for Braff here. He certainly has the power to express a lot of emotion, or complete lack of it, through simple facial expressions, and for that, I commend him.

I even checked out an episode of Scrubs just because Garden State was so damn good (way to rope me in, big guy). He saves that show too, oh, and the fact that I have a crush on that black guy from clueless.

So anyway, the writing, the soundtrack, the acting, the directing, the cinematography, the humour, the drama, the characters, the use of Method Man, etc were all great.

But Shelby, you can’t possibly like EVERYTHING about a movie! You’re too much of a critical bitch for that.

You’re right. I didn’t like the fact that I had to see Peter Sarsgaard’s furry wang in Kinsey. I also couldn't stand that they had to imply that gay anal sex ensued soon after said furry wang shot. Not that Kinsey was a bad movie, but it gave me nightmares. (Sarsgaard is Mark in Garden State).

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

All in all, it’s a good movie worth a view or two. I hope Zach Braff is no one hit wonder because that little jew knows how to push the right buttons. He's also a blogger himself, who would have thought? He's got some skills and gets more comments than I do. Wow. Imagine that.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

23-15-23, 9, 7-5-20, 20-8-5, 6-9-18-19-20, 16-15-19-20. 9,20-8-9-14-11, 25-15-21, 19-8-15-21-12-4, 8-1-22-5, 13-5-14-20-9-15-14-5-4, 20-8-5, 19-15-21-14-4-20-18-1-3-11, 1-19, 23-5-12-12. 9-20-19, 1-12-13-15-19-20, 1-19, 7-15-15-4, 1-19, 20-8-5, 6-9-10-9-1-14, 14-5-1-20, 16-9-5, 19-15-14-7. 9, 13-9-19-19, 25-15-21.

aShelteredTown said...

Happy Birthday, Ricky!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I Get the first post. I think you should have mentioned the soundtrack as well. Its almost as good as the fijian neat pie song. I miss you.

Unknown said...

Garden State was a good flick. I can take or leave Scrubs..... I agree with your assessments..

TastyPaper said...

25-15-21, 8-1-22-5, 23-1-25, 20-15-15, 13-21-3-8, 6-18-5-5, 20-9-13-5. 14-5-1-20, 9-4-5-1, 20-8-15-21-7-8.
I liked this film, and I adored Natalie's character (because I know someone just like that.)
Shelby, have you seen The Final Cut?

Anonymous said...

Mmm, looks like I totally missed the fun of the previous post.

"He's also a blogger himself, who would have thought? He's got some skills and gets more comments than I do. Wow. Imagine that."

Yes, but does his readership want to kill him and then fuck him?

I think not.

No need to be so modest.

Anonymous said...

He doesn't have skills, he has fame. Even then, what's that saying? Why is Paris Hilton famous? What about Trump? Because they have money or rich parents, or both. Point being, fame is not skills... skills may MEAN fame, but it's not the same.

aShelteredTown said...

I'm pretty sure you can have fame and skills, believe it or not.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Demosthenes, any other brilliant insights? I was wondering if you could expand on the fact that just because the sky is blue, that it doesn't mean that there aren't clouds in it as well. I'm really curious to hear your thoughts on the matter.

-Captain Moody

Anonymous said...

If I must, Captain Moody, if I must.

ahem

If the sky is perfectly blue, we can only speculate that there are no clouds in it. Yet, as "science" begs to differ, apparently that isn't always true. However, at this point, the literal distinction and practical distinction becomes important. For our purposes, when the sky is completely blue, there are no clouds in it. If, supposedly, there are, they do none of the things that ordinary clouds do, therefore their existence is beyond us and they are without a defined purpose. Without defined purpose, there are no defined clouds. Truth is not always true, it's simply what suits this world best. Point to a clear sky and ask anyone, "Are there clouds up there?" they will surely answer either "no" or "yes, but..." and then carry on with a longwinded explanation. Somewhere in the world there are surely clouds at the same time that you are watching a clear sky. So, in a way, there is no straight answer, at least not one without certain conditions accompanying it. The straightest answer I can give is that the question is irrrelevant and is posed simply as a way to get me to screw myself into a long philosophical answer. Nice try. While I might I have screwed myself into a long philosophical INTRODUCTION, the answer is simply that there is no way of telling whether or whether or not there are clouds in a blue sky, nor is the sky blue when there are clouds in it. Any answer would be uncertain. The question itself, however, is moot because how does it affect anyone? It doesn't. Try to asking me something more relevant next time, something I can actually ANSWER.

TastyPaper said...

The sky is never blue...anywhere.

Mike said...

Garden state was inspired by God.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Even More Latter Day Saints

Tanya Kristine said...

funny...natalie portman super bugged me in that movie too.

i thought i was the only one...

elhalo said...

that movie was tight!